If you’ve ever been to someone’s home and noticed their recliner makes a clunking noise, you’re not alone. This is a common problem with recliners and one that can be easily fixed.
In this blog post, we’ll tell you what causes the clunking noise and how to fix it. We’ll also provide some tips on how to choose the right recliner for your needs.
So, whether you’re shopping for a new recliner or just want to know more about this common issue, keep reading!
Reasons for Recliner Making Clunking Noise
There are a few possible reasons for a recliner to make a clunking noise are:
1) Recliner may have a loose spring
If your recliner is making a noise, the first thing you should do is check for loose springs. Springs can become loose over time and if one is loose, it can cause the recliner to make a noise when you move it back and forth.
To check for loose springs, look for any gaps in the upholstery where you can see the spring. If you see a gap, gently push on the spring to see if it moves. If it does, the spring is loose and needs to be tightened.
2) Recliner may need lubrication
Another possible reason for a recliner to make a noise is that it may need lubrication. Recliners have a lot of moving parts and over time, these parts can start to dry out and become sticky. This can cause the recliner to make a noise when you move it back and forth.
To lubricate the recliner, you’ll need to purchase a lubricant designed for furniture. Apply the lubricant to all of the moving parts on the recliner including the springs and then operate the recliner to distribute the lubricant.
3. Mechanical problem
If your recliner is making a noise, it’s also possible that there’s something caught in the mechanism of the recliner, preventing it from moving smoothly. This can often happen if you have pets that like to sleep in the recliner.
To check for this, look for any objects caught in the mechanism and remove them if you find any.
4. Due to broken/damaged part
Finally, if your recliner is making a noise, there may be a broken or damaged part. This is often the case with older recliners. To check for this, take a look at all of the moving parts on the recliner.
If you see any cracks or damage, these are likely the cause of the noise. In this case, you’ll need to replace the broken parts.
Different Parts of Recliner that Could be Causing the Noise?
There are a few different parts of a recliner that could be causing the noise which are:
- Recliner Frame: if the frame is not properly constructed, it can creak and make noise when you move around in the chair.
- Fabric: if the fabric is not of good quality, it can also make noise when you sit on it or move around.
- Springs: if the springs are not of good quality, they can also make noise when you sit on the recliner or move around.
- Mechanism: if the mechanism of the recliner is not working properly, it can also make noise.
- Legs: if the legs of the recliner are not of good quality, they can also make noise when you move around in the chair.
Therefore, it is important to check all these parts of the recliner before using it to avoid any noise problems.
How do you troubleshoot and fix the recliner noise issue?
If the issue is something minor, such as a loose screw or broken spring, you can usually fix it yourself. However, if the problem is more serious such as a ripped upholstery or broken frame, you will need to take it to a professional for repair.
To troubleshoot and fix a minor issue in a recliner, firs, identify the problem then take the appropriate steps to fix it.
- If the recliner is squeaking, the first step is to check for loose screws. Tighten any that are loose, using a screwdriver. If the squeaking persists, try lubricating the moving parts with WD-40 or another lubricant.
- If the recliner is rocking back and forth, the issue may be a broken spring. Inspect the springs to see if any are broken and replace them if necessary.
- If the recliner is not reclining properly, the issue may be a broken mechanism. Inspect the mechanism to see if any parts are damaged or missing and replace or repair them as necessary.
- If the upholstery on the recliner is ripped or torn, you will need to take it to a professional for repair.
In most cases, minor issues in a recliner can be easily fixed at home. However, if the problem is more serious, you will need to take it to a professional for repair.
What to do if the problem is more serious and requires professional help?
If you have a more serious problem with your recliner, you may need to consult a professional. Many furniture repair companies specialize in repairing recliners. You can find these companies by searching online or on your local yellow pages.
When choosing a furniture repair company, it is important to select one that has experience in repairing recliners. You should also ask for referrals from friends or family members who have had their recliners repaired by the company. This will give you an idea of the quality of work that the company can provide.
It is also important to make sure that the furniture repair company you select is licensed and insured. This will protect you in case something goes wrong during the repair process.
Once you have found a reputable furniture repair company, they will likely give you a free estimate on the cost of the repairs. Be sure to get this in writing so that you have something to compare the final cost with.
In most cases, the furniture repair company will be able to fix your recliner within a few hours. However, if the problem is more complex, it may take them longer to fix the problem.
Whether or not you can get a warranty on your recliner?
There are a few things to consider when trying to determine whether or not you can get a warranty on your recliner.
- First is the age of the recliner. If the recliner is less than a year old, you will likely be able to get a warranty from the manufacturer. However, if the recliner is more than a year old, it is less likely that you will be able to get a warranty.
- Second thing to consider is the condition of the recliner. If the recliner is in good condition, it is more likely that you will be able to get a warranty. However, if the recliner is in poor condition, it is less likely that you will be able to get a warranty.
- Finally, you should consider the cost of the recliner. If the recliner is expensive, it is more likely that you will be able to get a warranty.
However, if the recliner is less expensive, it is less likely that you will be able to get a warranty. In general, it is best to purchase a recliner from a reputable dealer who can offer you a warranty.
FAQs – Why Recliner Make a Clunking Noise?
Why do Recliners Make a Clunking Noise?
There are a few reasons why your recliner might make a clunking noise when you sit down or stand up. It could be that the furniture is simply old and needs to be replaced. Or, it could be that something is loose or broken inside the chair itself.
Do recliners need to be oiled?
The answer to this question depends on the type of recliner you have. Some recliners come with an automatic oiling system, while others require manual oiling.
If your recliner does not have an automatic oiling system, then you will need to oil it yourself regularly. The frequency of oiling will depend on how often you use your recliner.
However, it is still important to check the owner’s manual for your particular recliner to see how often it should be oiled.
How do you lubricate a recliner?
There are a few ways to lubricate a recliner. One way is to use WD-40. Spray WD-40 onto the moving parts of the recliner, such as the hinges and swivel base.
Another way to lubricate a recliner is to use petroleum jelly. Apply petroleum jelly to the moving parts of the recliner with a cloth. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt and dust from the recliner.
Why is my couch creaking?
There are a few reasons your couch might be creaking and most of them have to do with the frame or construction of the piece.
As furniture ages, it’s not uncommon for the frame to start sagging or for the joints to become loose. This can cause creaking as you sit on the couch or move around on it.
Another possibility is that the couch is simply too soft; when you sit down, the cushions sink and put pressure on the frame, causing it to creak. You might also hear creaking if there are springs in the couch that are starting to wear out.
How do I make my rocker recliner not rock?
There are a few things you can do to make your rocker recliner not rock.
- One is to simply remove the locking mechanism from the chair.
- Another is to use furniture pads or casters to prevent the chair from rocking.
- Finally, you can attach weight to the bottom of the chair legs to keep it from tipping over when someone sits in it.
Clunking noise is not only annoying, but it can also be dangerous if you’re trying to watch TV or take a nap and the sound keeps you from falling asleep. -There are several ways to fix this problem, including adding padding to the arms of your chair, using rubber bands between the arms and cushions, or spraying WD-40 between the arms.
If your recliner is making a clunking noise, there are several things you can do to stop it. You can try one of these solutions yourself or call a professional to help you out.
About The Author
Dr. Patricia is a healthcare consultant and a Chiropractors at the American health association department. She loves writing about physical therapy & health improvement tips. And She always suggest top rated products for better health ergonomics.